the early twentieth century, W.D. Haynes operated a grocery
store from several buildings on Woodland Boulevard. His first
store was a one-story building located on the west side on
the 200 block of North Woodland Boulevard.
W.D. Haynes Building, completed in 1916 and illustrated here
in the 1920's, is one of DeLand's few commercial buildings
displaying influences of the Prairie Style of Architecture.
This building was next to the last wooden structure to be
replaced in the downtown area. The building contained W.D.
Haynes' Grocery on the first floor, professional offices and
apartments on the second, and a billiards parlor in the basement.